- When you go to bed, you are allowed to lie awake only for 15 minutes. If 15 minutes have expired and you do not fall asleep, then get out of bed. Do not go to bed or try to fall asleep again until the beginning of the next hour. For example, if you went to bed at 23.00 and did not fall asleep until 23.15, get up, get out into the other room (a bed and used only for sleeping!) And watch TV or read. You can do any tedious activity, for example, ironing clothes or restore order in the papers. Do not go to bed before 00.00. If the second attempt you will not fall asleep until 00.15, again stand up out of bed and go to Vat Waking up to 01.00, and so on. It usually takes no more than 1-2 attempts. However, in severe insomnia in the first few days it can potrebovat s Xia 3-4 attempts.
- Be sure to get out of bed in the morning at the same time, regardless of when you fell asleep. Even if you really want to sleep, still get out of bed. Best of all, if you quickly do some exercise and get to fresh in s spirit.
- Do not go to rest or sleep during the day. Daytime sleep will reduce your sleepiness by evening and negate all your efforts on the previous night.
- Keep a diary every day: write down the time each morning when you went to bed, after what attempts you fell asleep and when you got out of bed.
- If within a week you have 4 or more times could not go to sleep after the first attempt, it is necessary to remove the first hour of time spent in n about Staley.
- If during the next week you were also unable to fall asleep 4 or more times after the first attempt, remove another hour from your time in bed. And so every subsequent week until you fall asleep after the first attempt at least 4 times a week. Perhaps, after the implementation of this program your stay in bed reduced to 1-2-3 hours, but sleep would be the deeper about Kim and effective.
- This program helps most people, even if insomnia continues for several years. However, it should be noted that a significant number of people after some time (perhaps in a few months or years) returns to their old habits and insomnia. If this happens to you, you should simply repeat the program described above again, which will allow you to regain sleep as well .
Sleep restriction therapy
Most people fall asleep easier and sleep better when they feel sleepy. In order to make you sleepy in the evening and help you fall asleep easier, you need to limit the duration of your sleep or stay in bed during each night for several weeks. In addition, please observe the general recommendations for gigs ie not sleep.
- You are allowed to stay in bed only the amount of time that you think is asleep, plus 15 minutes. For example, if you think that you sleep only 5 hours each night (and it takes another 3 hours to fall asleep), then you are allowed to stay in bed for 5 hours and 15 minutes.
- You have to get up every day at the same time. If you sleep 5 hours and usually get up at 6:00 in the morning, you are allowed to stay in bed from 00:45 at night until 6:00 in the morning.
- Do not try to take a nap during the day.
- If you sleep for 85% of your time in bed, you can increase your time in bed, going to bed 15 minutes earlier. (You still have to get up in the morning at the same time.)
- Repeat this method until you sleep all 8 hours or the desired amount of time. Perhaps , at the same time, you will notice that the time allocated for sleeping is reduced by 1-2-3 hours compared to the period when you suffered from insomnia.
This technique gives effect in 3 – 4 weeks. Remember that, as with sleep restraint therapy, you can be very sleepy during the day and you need to be extremely careful while driving and performing hazardous work.