Pregnancy, as we know, is a special period for every woman. A new life develops inside, a woman's body, her usual routine and even her worldview change. Often these changes cause sleep disorders. And although insomnia, at first glance, does not seem to be a very dangerous malfunction in the body of the expectant mother, it should not be left without attention.
Causes of insomnia in early and late pregnancy
According to statistics, problems with sleep occur in the majority of women expecting a baby. Some cannot sleep well from the first weeks of pregnancy, others first encounter insomnia later, and at the end of pregnancy, the majority of expectant mothers (almost 97%) suffer from sleep disorders. In the vast majority of cases, the causes of these disorders are physiological.
Three types of sleep disorders are distinguished:
- So-called starter insomnia, when emotions and experiences prevent normal sleep.
- The second type is inability to retain sleep: a woman falls asleep normally, but often wakes up at night and cannot fall asleep immediately.
- The third type is morning insomnia: she manages to fall asleep and sleep normally most of the night, but in the morning, a few hours before her normal wake-up time, the woman wakes up and cannot fall asleep again.
At the beginning of pregnancy women more often have the first and third forms of insomnia, at the end - the first.
In the first trimester sleep is often disturbed due to the start of hormonal reorganization. After conception, a woman's body begins to transform for normal pregnancy and childbirth. The hormonal background changes significantly, which can also disrupt sleep. Quite often this insomnia is called one of the first signs of pregnancy.
Over time, it changes to sleepiness. Because of the transformation in the body after the onset of pregnancy, many women from the first weeks begin to feel the rapid urge to urinate. Night trips to the bathroom also complicates normal sleep.
As, however, and manifestations of early toxicosis, which often affects women in early pregnancy.
In addition, insomnia in the first trimester may also have an emotional origin. Having found out about the pregnancy, a woman begins to worry about the future, about the upcoming changes, about the baby's health and cannot sleep normally.
As a rule, insomnia in the first trimester of pregnancy is temporary and passes in a few weeks.
In the second trimester of pregnancy insomnia in the future mother is rather the exception than the rule. Emotions calm down a little, your body is already accustomed to the new hormonal background, so your sleep becomes calmer. It is easier for a woman to fall asleep and gain strength during a night's rest.
In the final trimester of pregnancy, opportunities for a normal night's rest for women become less and less. Many people complain that they have just terrible or horrible insomnia during this period. This is how many women on Internet forums describe their sleep situation in the third trimester.
At term over 30 weeks the increased abdomen does not allow for comfortable positioning in bed. Many expectant mothers find it difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. When a woman is already lying down, the baby in the womb may begin to move more actively. Do not give a good night's sleep and frequent trips to the bathroom. At this time, the body is already beginning to prepare for childbirth.
Therefore, sometimes a woman may feel contractions of the uterine muscles. In the late term, your legs often cramp. Often in the 3rd trimester women feel back pain, suffer from heartburn and shortness of breath.
And although the reasons for such deviations are quite natural (the womb with a growing fetus presses on internal organs, complicating their work), it becomes more and more difficult to sleep and rest well. Many women at the end of pregnancy cannot sleep because they are worried about the impending birth.
Is insomnia during pregnancy dangerous: the consequences
If a pregnant woman can not sleep properly, then she is deprived of adequate rest, constantly feels tired, becomes inattentive and irritable. Thus, the immune system weakens, the body is depleted, which during childbirth and so functions in "emergency" conditions.
Fatigue and negative emotions do not reflect well on the future child. That is why it is so important to understand the reasons that prevent a woman from getting enough sleep, and try to neutralize them or minimize their influence.
What to do if you suffer from insomnia during pregnancy
To return a healthy sleep is difficult, but real. For help, it is best to ask your doctor. He will tell you how to overcome insomnia, and prescribe a safe treatment.
Usually for the elimination of sleep disorders in the period of waiting for the baby do not prescribe sleeping pills. Because most such drugs are contraindicated during the period of pregnancy. Therefore, you should not take medications that helped you fall asleep before pregnancy.
Of pharmacy drugs, your doctor may recommend a mild sedative, such as tincture of motherwort or valerian. On your own, it is better not to decide what to take, it may have a negative impact on the fetus.
There are homeopathic remedies that can help cope with the problem of poor sleep and its absence. The list of such drugs is quite large. Only an experienced homeopath can choose the best one, taking into account the causes of insomnia and the peculiarities of the condition of the pregnant woman.
As with the remedies of traditional medicine, homeopathy should not be self-directed.
On many online resources and forums you can find many simple recipes to deal with insomnia during pregnancy. Before using them, consult your doctor.
For better falling asleep, it is advised to prepare a drink with honey. For example, add it to warm milk or water and drink it shortly before bedtime. Or mix a teaspoon of honey with ground walnuts and eat it before going to bed.
Another recipe with honey: combine it with cranberries in the proportion one to one, eat the resulting mixture by the tablespoon half an hour before a meal.
Recipes with honey are proven and effective, they relieve anxiety, the main thing is not to go overboard with this product, because it is quite a strong allergen.
You can brew a tea of herbs that reduce stress and help relax: chamomile, mint, lavender, melissa, thyme. Useful in such situations and currant tea.
Often recommended to overcome insomnia infusion of celery leaves: pour a glass of boiling water over 15-20 grams of chopped leaves, insist 30-40 minutes, divide a glass of this drug in three parts and drink during the day. The main thing is not to overdo it with drink, even if the healing, in the evening.
Aromatherapy can also help you to overcome insomnia. Lavender oil, applied to the temples or wrists, will help you to relax and fall asleep quickly. A warm bath with a few drops of lavender or mint oil can have a similar effect.
How to fall asleep if you are tired of insomnia
To overcome insomnia, you also need some effort on the part of the woman, you may need to review your style of behavior and habits. First of all, you should try to reduce the influence of those factors that interfere with sleep.
Make your sleeping place more comfortable, take extra pillows in bed, put one under your back to reduce pain, another between your knees, another under your stomach.
Ventilate the room in which you will sleep well in the evening.
Try to leave all your worries and fears behind the threshold of the bedroom. It may be necessary to discuss them during the day with a friend, your mother or a loved one. Plan all important and emotionally costly activities for the first half of the day. For the afternoon, leisurely activities and walks in the fresh air are more suitable.
Do not eat or drink too much before going to bed, take a warm shower or bath, listen to pleasant music and go to bed. It is better to sleep on your side. If you cannot fall asleep within half an hour, get up, walk around the house, read a magazine or book, watch a light movie, and listen to soft music. As soon as you feel drowsy, go to rest.
Causes of insomnia in pregnancy
Insomnia during pregnancy is diagnosed in many women. Expectant mothers often experience insomnia at the beginning of pregnancy. This is due to hormonal restructuring of the body. Such a disorder requires immediate action, since pregnant women are more in need of adequate sleep and rest.
Characteristics of sleep disorders
Insomnia, or insomnia, is a sleep disorder in which slow falling asleep, insufficient duration or discontinuity of the process over a long time interval is fixed.
Three types of disorders are distinguished:
Causes of insomnia in pregnancy, which interferes with healthy rest, are:
- improperly chosen posture;
- the movements of the baby;
- shortness of breath;
- frequent nocturnal urination;
- pain in the lumbar area;
- unpleasant dreams, nightmares;
- chronic fatigue;
- heartburn, gastrointestinal dysfunction;
- stressful situations;
- intense itching caused by stretching of the skin.
The psychological factor plays a significant role in determining the quality of sleep. The process of carrying a baby, worrying about the baby's health, waiting for delivery is a powerful stress that negatively affects a woman's nervous system.
Features of insomnia by trimester of pregnancy
Each period of carrying a baby is characterized by certain changes in a woman's body. These changes are not always positive:
- Insomnia in the first trimester of pregnancy. Appears due to changes in hormonal levels in the female body. Insomnia in the early stages of pregnancy is explained by excessive production of progesterone, which is responsible for the healthy carrying of the child.
- Insomnia in the second trimester. During this period, the body of the pregnant woman has already adapted to the changed hormonal background. Insomnia is fixed in emotional women who abuse caffeine-containing drinks.
- Insomnia in the third trimester of pregnancy. Insomnia in the 38th week of pregnancy, as well as insomnia in the 39th week of pregnancy, is a natural condition of the expectant mother. The fetus is ready to come into the world, its weight will not change much. The baby squeezes the laborer's stomach and bladder. You will not sleep well from the 35th week of pregnancy - insomnia can become chronic.
Important: A woman expecting a baby should sleep at least 9 hours a day.
Insomnia before childbirth is observed in all women: sleep becomes restless, training contractions scare and deliver discomfort.
The impact of lack of sleep on the pregnant woman's well-being
Insomnia and pregnancy in the early stages has a negative impact on the functionality of the CNS, because adequate rest is essential.
Chronic disorder in pregnant women can provoke:
- abnormalities of the cardiovascular system;
- spikes in blood pressure.
A serious consequence of insomnia in pregnant women is a decrease in concentration, which can initiate injuries and damage, especially in the 9th month of pregnancy.
Sleep deprivation weakens immune status, making the body easily vulnerable to infectious attacks. An exacerbation of diseases of a chronic nature may also be diagnosed.
How to deal with insomnia during pregnancy
Insomnia in pregnant women is a manifestation of ongoing processes in the body. Before treating insomnia, the factor affecting restless sleep should be identified and eliminated.
A pregnant woman is prohibited from taking any medications, including sleeping pills. A doctor may prescribe sedatives only in the 3rd trimester.
The safest way to combat insomnia is to create comfortable conditions in the bedroom, promoting fast falling asleep. The following recommendations contribute to the normalization of night rest, improving the quality of sleep.
Getting ready before going to bed
Doctors recommend establishing a regular schedule: you should go to bed at a certain time. It is necessary to ventilate the room regularly, keep the temperature in the sleeping room no higher than 20 C.
Especially important is the posture when falling asleep. Insomnia at 35 weeks and beyond is caused by uncomfortable posture. In the first weeks of pregnancy you can sleep on your back, in the second trimester of pregnancy it is not recommended.
When you lie on your back, the vena cava is compressed, which causes oxygen deficiency. In late pregnancy, doctors advise expectant mothers to sleep on the left side, as this sleep preserves proper blood circulation.
You may also put between the legs a special pillow for pregnant women.
Aromatherapy has an effective effect on the centers of the brain, which are responsible for sleep. When insomnia is a problem, a few drops of lavender oil can help you sleep.
Proper organization of the day
Insomnia at 37 weeks of pregnancy and beyond may indicate that more than 2 hours of the day's rest. If falling asleep is difficult, it is better to give up the daytime "quiet hour".
Doctors recommend doing gymnastics, swimming, and yoga for pregnant women, but only in the first half of the day. An evening walk will be invaluable, providing the body with essential oxygen.
It is recommended to start getting ready for bed at 10:00 p.m. In this time interval is the production of melatonin, which is responsible for fast falling asleep and a healthy sleep.
Methods of alternative medicine
Traditional medicine offers safe remedies for insomnia, which have a calming and relaxing effect:
- This is a common remedy for insomnia in the form of a heated glass of milk and a teaspoon of honey. The warm drink should be drunk before going to bed in small sips.
- Take a little valerian and oregano and pour the ingredients with steep boiling water. Then you have to put this mixture in a bottle and drink it in the evening.
- Use a mixture of cranberry and bitter honey. Take the resulting remedy by a tablespoon before supper.
If none of the methods helps, and a woman wants to resort to the use of medicines, you should consult a doctor. The doctor will prescribe a safe therapy that will not harm the future baby.
Tips for dealing with the disorder
By following simple recommendations, you can avoid insomnia:
- Buy bedding made of cotton.
- Don't eat fatty foods for dinner. It is better to choose a vegetable salad.
- Drink a glass of mint before going to bed.
- Do not consume tonic beverages.
- Avoid drinking liquids in the evening.
- Avoid emotional shocks in the evening.
Insomnia during pregnancy is diagnosed in many expectant mothers. Insomnia is provoked by hormonal disorders, stress, physiological problems. The solution is to normalize the daily routine and create favorable conditions for sleep.
How to get rid of insomnia during pregnancy
A full night's sleep is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle of any person. For women who are pregnant, this point is especially important. The state of fatigue, brokenness not getting enough sleep will have a negative impact on the baby's well-being. That's why it is especially important to fight insomnia during pregnancy.
Reasons for insomnia during pregnancy
Before choosing a method to get rid of the disease, you should understand the causes that may have caused it. These differ from one stage of pregnancy to another.
- In the first months of pregnancy, there is a hormonal change in the body. There is a significant increase in the content of progesterone in the blood. And this component is responsible for the preservation of pregnancy. But its products have an unusual effect on the condition of the mommy. They can be simultaneously excellent antidepressants and become the initial cause of insomnia.
- Psychological aspects are related to the anxiety of ladies about their new status and the upcoming changes in the family. Overwhelming thoughts about the impending birth and the expected child do not allow a peaceful sleep. Often, depressions and sleep disorders can be observed in women who are faced with financial difficulties or a pregnancy that they did not plan.
- Insomnia in the first trimester can appear because of somatic disorders. Appearance of toxicosis, frequent awakening at night because of the need to visit the toilet interfere with proper rest.
After some time, after the body gets used to the new status, the expectant mother's condition normalizes.
At a later stage of pregnancy insomnia recurs. Only now the reasons are in the physiological discomfort. Sometimes women can not sleep, just because she can not choose a comfortable position. Interfere with a full-fledged rest painful sensations in the lower back, heartburn, worsening in a horizontal position, shortness of breath.
Faced with these problems, you should not give way to despair. There are many effective and safe ways to cope with insomnia.
How you can solve the problem of insomnia
The observance of simple recommendations will help to return a strong and healthy sleep to a woman who is expecting a child.
- Those who have trouble sleeping at night, it is better to give up on daytime sleep altogether. It is enough to simply lie down for 1-1.5 hours at lunch, shutting off from any thoughts.
- To sleep well at night, you need to give the body an opportunity to tire during the day, but not too much. Any physical activity (walking, complexes of simple exercises) will do, the main thing is that it should be in the first part of the day. The body, excited before going to bed, will calm down for a long time and it will not be possible to fall asleep quickly.
- In the evening you should exclude the manifestation of any emotions. Try to solve urgent problems during the day or postpone them to the next day. In no case do not arrange any arguments with relatives before a night's rest, because adrenaline is an enemy of restful sleep.
- It is not necessary to be engaged in intensive thinking activity before going to bed. Exclude reading serious literature, solving complex problems. It is better to enjoy quiet and calm music.
- Often the cause of insomnia or anxious sleep can be overeating at night. The last meal should be three hours before you rest. If you can not cope with hunger, you can have a snack with food that is easily digested (eat fruit, drink a glass of kefir or milk).
- Often the cause of poor sleep is frequent visits to the bathroom at night. To avoid this, it is recommended to drink less after 16-17 hours.
- A walk in the fresh air is a great way to get in the mood for rest. In addition, an excellent calming effect on the body has a warm shower, which should be taken about 20 minutes before bedtime.
- Probably, the cause of disorders lies in the specificity of the bed. Therefore it is necessary to carefully consider whether it meets the necessary requirements, whether the pillow is too soft or hard, whether the blanket is warm enough.
- Aromatherapy is an excellent way to improve a night's sleep. It is enough to put a small cloth bag with hops, molasses, thyme, pine needles, geranium herb, etc. sewn into it.
- Before going to bed you can do breathing exercises. Thanks to her there is a chance to get rid of shortness of breath, which interferes with sleep.
For a peaceful and good night's rest of a pregnant woman, the bedroom environment is especially important. The room should not be equipment. It is necessary to make sure that the air temperature was comfortable, not very low and not high.
Before going to bed, it is recommended to air the room. Go to bed better in pajamas from natural fabric. This also applies to bedding. Pregnant women need at least three pillows to find a comfortable position.
Many people have the habit of sleeping on their stomachs. During pregnancy, this method should be abandoned. An expectant mother should rest on her back, but the best option is on her side.
Folk methods of getting rid of insomnia
If all the recommendations are carried out exactly and the insomnia does not pass, it makes sense to turn to folk methods. But before you use them, you should always consult your doctor.
- During pregnancy, to correct sleep disturbances will help remedy, prepared from the juice of radish, turnip or beet with honey. A small notch is made in the vegetable, in which a small spoon of honey is placed. After a few hours, the juice that forms there should be drunk.
- Will help to solve the problem of insomnia herbal tea, prepared from mint, melissa, chamomile, licorice, thyme. But you should refuse to use hop-based products, because this plant is harmful to pregnant women.
- If you drink warm milk with honey before going to bed, you may not have to turn over from side to side for a long time, trying to fall asleep to no avail.
It is important to remember that all substances that enter the body of a pregnant woman, necessarily through the umbilical cord will be in the baby.
Sleeping pills for insomnia in pregnant women
Important! No sleeping pills without consulting the doctor should not be taken, especially in the first trimester, when the formation of tissues and organs of the embryo. And on the later terms without good reason should not do so.
The fact is that such remedies can have a negative impact on the forming baby. In addition, when accumulated in the body, they can provoke kidney and liver dysfunction.
Insomnia, which accompanies pregnancy in the early and late terms, is a kind of training before the future birth. Once the long-awaited baby is born, problems with sleep disorders will be long forgotten.
Insomnia in pregnancy: causes of occurrence in 1, 2 and 3 trimesters, whether the condition is dangerous, methods of sleep normalization, acceptable drugs
The concept of insomnia includes various conditions. For example, the inability to sleep under favorable circumstances or problems with falling asleep. Sometimes worried about waking up too early or superficial, "fragile" sleep, interrupted several times during the night.
Sleep is necessary to rest the brain, the body. In this state, a person consolidates the skills acquired during the day, the memory is ordered.
Sleep disorders differ in the periodicity of occurrence:
- short-term - disturbed for one or two nights, but not longer than a week;
- intermittent - periodic episodes;
- persistent - occurring over more than three weeks.
Factors leading to insomnia in expectant mothers may include:
- hormonal changes;
- psychological disorders;
- certain conditions of internal organs;
- unpleasant painful feelings.
Mental disorders and organic brain abnormalities can first manifest themselves with sleep problems during gestation. But this is rather an exception.
Primary insomnia in pregnant women also occurs rarely. This is a condition in which the exact cause of the disorders could not be established. A person gets enough sleep for three or four hours a night, and overall health may not suffer or vice versa.
Statistics show that at the beginning of gestation poor quality sleep affects up to 80% of women. By the time of delivery their number increases to 97%. The causes depend on the trimester and change over the course of gestation.
After conception, hormonal restructuring leads to a gradual increase in progesterone levels. This sex hormone is a neurosteroid, is involved in the synthesis of allopregnanolone. The latter has an antidepressant effect, stimulates the nervous system. Therefore, against the background of increased progesterone, insomnia may occur, which many people consider a sign of pregnancy.
Some women at the beginning of gestation, on the contrary, develop pathological sleepiness. They take a nap break every chance they get. And if they manage to sleep during the day, they can no longer relax in the evening.
Sometimes the cause of sleep disorders is stress and psychological stress, which are related to the fact of conception. If it is unplanned, the woman worries about how to tell the father or her parents. The financial side of the issue is also troubling. These thoughts may haunt you all the time and not let go even at night.
If you managed to get past the hormonal storm of the initial term, you need to remember the surprises of mid-pregnancy. Intensive growth of the fetus and the enlargement of the uterus lead to compression of the bladder. This forces you to run to the bathroom more often, including at night.
Ligaments are gradually stretched, and pain in the lower back may occur. It usually subsides at night, but it takes time for the unpleasant symptoms to subside and for you to be able to sleep peacefully.
Heartburn also appears in the second trimester. It is a result of decreased peristalsis under the influence of progesterone and displacement of the stomach by the growing uterus. Unpleasant sensations behind the sternum more often occur if there was a late dinner, after which the future mother went straight to bed.
Before pregnancy, many people like to sleep on their stomachs. After conception, you can no longer do this. But other body positions at a long term seem uncomfortable.
If in the first half of gestation you can still rest on your back, then as the third trimester approaches it is uncomfortable and even dangerous. The uterus presses not only the organs below, but also those behind it. Most of all the inferior vena cava suffers. When you sleep on your back, it is compressed and the syndrome of the same name occurs. It's manifested by..:
- shortness of breath;
- ringing in the ears;
- heaviness behind the sternum;
- increased fetal distension.
But even sleeping on your side is not possible. A large belly pulls forward, and it is impossible to comfortably place the extremities. A large pillow or a large soft toy, on which you can throw your leg.
Pressure on the diaphragm causes the volume of the lungs to decrease. They can not spread out as much as before, so there is shortness of breath. This symptom may increase at night when lying down.
A moving baby does not bring significant discomfort. But there are babies who become too active in the evening and at night, especially if the woman was moving a lot during the day and did not give the baby an opportunity to "stretch".
Insomnia is sometimes associated with itchy pregnant women. This condition may occur already in the second trimester, but is especially pronounced in the third trimester. The active growth of the uterus leads to skin tension, which causes unpleasant sensations. Heartburn does not go away, but only intensifies at this time.
The body is preparing for labor, there are training contractions. They are not as intense as real contractions and do not lead to the opening of the cervix. But in women with a low pain threshold, they may cause a bad sleep.
Training contractions do not last long, a woman manages to fall asleep. But if during the night a cramp-like pain in the abdomen, which appeared at regular intervals and did not let you rest, then in the morning you should urgently go to the doctor. This could be the beginning of labor.
Solution to the problem
You can get rid of insomnia in different ways without the use of medication. First of all, you need to take care of a comfortable sleep. To do this, you should ventilate the room and make sure that its temperature is no higher than 20 ° C. Air that is too dry may irritate the mucous membranes and should be moistened if necessary.
The bed itself should be wide and comfortable, and the mattress should be firm and without holes. You can buy a special pillow for pregnant women. It is placed under the abdomen, between the legs. If there is a feeling of lack of air, it is recommended to raise the head end of the bed by a few centimeters. To do this, put a bar under the legs.
It is important to adjust the body to rest. To do this, the same set of actions should be repeated every night. Dinner should be displaced so that it would be no later than two or three hours before going to bed. But even on an empty stomach, you should not lie down: a glass of warm milk will help. Optimal time for going to sleep is 22:00.
Before going to bed, you can take a warm shower with aromatic oils or gel with a relaxing effect. For those who are comfortable, you can lie in warm water for a short time.
Sometimes it helps to fall asleep faster and calm the flow of thoughts by reading boring literature. But it is better to do this lying in bed in a comfortable position.
To relax and forget everything helps not only a warm bath. Relevant special exercises. But it should be done no later than 20:00.
Massage has a relaxing effect. It is not necessary to perform it all over the body - it is enough to the cervical collar zone or feet. Quiet music and the sounds of nature help to tune in to sleep.
In the absence of contraindications, sex helps with insomnia. This is an additional physical and emotional load.
Disturb the sleep can external stimuli. Pregnant women should observe the following recommendations:
- give up coffee and tea six hours before bedtime;
- don't sleep during the day;
- not drink a lot of fluids;
- follow the daily routine on any day of the week;
- not watch TV;
- turn off the phone and the alerts in it;
- do not sit at the computer in the evening.
Internet surfing takes up a lot of time that you can't always keep track of. Sometimes a bad night's sleep is the result of prolonged social networking. Therefore, it is better to turn off the computer and mobile devices in the evening.
Medications that are used to treat insomnia are not safe. Therefore, women with this problem have only one option: to use herbal remedies.
- Valerian. In expectant mothers, it is preferable to use tablets that do not contain alcohol. The extract has a sedative effect and should help to sleep. It is recommended to take 30-40 minutes before sleep.
- Novo-Passit. These are tablets based on plant extracts that have a mild sedative effect. Take one three times a day. The drug does not cause drowsiness, but helps to relax and fall asleep.
- Herbal gatherings. Tea from chamomile, melissa, hawthorn, valerian root can be composed and prepared independently. But the task is facilitated by ready-made herbal kits, which are sold in pharmacies in filter packs. Can be used as a regular tea shortly before bedtime.
Despite the apparent safety, herbal remedies can have side effects. Therefore, caution should be exercised. Pregnant women should not use alcoholic tinctures, and also use alcohol as a sleeping pill. Even small doses can adversely affect the health of the baby.
Insomnia in expectant mothers can be overcome without going to the doctor. But self-prescription of sleeping pills is unacceptable. They have a large number of side effects, possible development of addiction, unpredictable effect on the fetus. Therefore, it is better to fight sleep disorders with safer methods.
10 proven ways to combat insomnia during pregnancy
Sleep problems can appear at any period of life, and they bring great discomfort. Insomnia in pregnancy is a common problem that can occur at any stage of pregnancy.
Why does insomnia occur?
You should begin to fight insomnia by finding the exact cause of its occurrence. The problem is most often caused by hormonal changes in a woman's body. A significant increase in progesterone levels often leads to insomnia.
Change of hormonal background of a woman is not the only factor that may cause insomnia. It can also lead to it:
- psychological reasons: fear of childbirth, anxiety about the baby, increased anxiety, excitement;
- somatic reasons: the need for frequent bladder emptying, heartburn, shortness of breath, back pain;
- discomfort related to the size of the abdomen or an inappropriate sleeping position.
Many women are worried whether insomnia can be a sign of pregnancy. According to experts, such a sign can manifest itself in the early stages, but it cannot be called one of the main ones.
Features of sleep by trimester
The mode of rest and wakefulness at different terms varies greatly. In the first months there may be unaccustomed sleepiness, and then there are problems with falling asleep.
In the first trimester
Although many expectant mothers suffer from insomnia at different stages of pregnancy, the first trimester is more often associated with the opposite problem. Sleepiness can appear at the very beginning of pregnancy, when many women are not even aware of the changes taking place in the body. During the first three months one should not refuse an opportunity to take a nap, if there is such a desire.
In the second trimester
When the third month of pregnancy passes, in most cases the woman feels better, problems with sleep recede. This period often becomes the most calm and measured, but the future mother needs a sufficient amount of rest.
In the third trimester
The rapidly growing belly deprives the woman of a choice of comfortable sleeping positions, and this is especially strong in the third trimester. Low back pain and night cramps are not uncommon.
In addition, at night the future baby can actively move and disturb sleep. In this case, you can calm it down by lightly touching the abdomen. Before childbirth, some women can sleep for 15 hours a night, and this is considered normal.
Sleep disturbances, on the other hand, are a reason to see a doctor.
Effective ways to combat insomnia
Most pharmacy drugs, remedies for insomnia, are contraindicated for pregnant women.
Before taking any of them you should consult a specialist, even if the instructions do not indicate contraindications.
You should not resort to sedative and hypnotic herbs: they can not only cause an allergic reaction, but also harm the unborn child, which is why almost all of them are not recommended for use.
The way to combat insomnia depends on whether it is chronic or situational. In the first case, most likely you can not do without medication, in the second case you can do without the following recommendations:
- spend more time outdoors, especially in the evenings;
- regularly ventilate the bedroom and humidify the air in it;
- give up drinking tonic beverages;
- get a pillow, thanks to which you can find a comfortable sleeping position;
- massage your legs before going to bed, to avoid cramps at night;
- not eat 2-3 hours before going to bed, avoid large amounts of fatty and sugary foods;
- if you are not allergic to drink a small amount of warm milk with honey before going to bed;
- get a special bandage, which will relieve the load on the lower back;
- establish an optimal sleep and wakefulness regime and try to follow it;
- use clothes made of natural materials that are pleasant to the skin;
- avoid emotional distress and physical activity before going to bed;
- use soothing aromatic oils;
- create a favorable atmosphere at home, avoid scandals and stressful situations.
What are the dangers of insomnia during pregnancy?
Lack of normal rest and insomnia in late pregnancy can carry a threat. First of all, it is associated with impaired concentration.
Caused by this inattention can lead to domestic trauma and even fainting, which is especially dangerous in the third trimester. Trauma can provoke a miscarriage, so you should be careful and not neglect healthy sleep.
You can get used to hormonal restructuring of the body, minimizing its negative impact.
All of the body's systems get an additional load, since they have to support not one but two people. In this regard, sleep disorders can cause the following problems:
- blood pressure fluctuations;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- depressive disorders.
Lack of adequate sleep affects a woman's mental health: she becomes more nervous and irritable due to lack of rest. The selection of relaxation methods that will help to cope with this is of great importance, because emotional stability is of great importance.
Insomnia during pregnancy
So, the statistics in this regard are disappointing: about 78% of expectant mothers during pregnancy experience difficulties with sleep, in the third trimester about 97% of women suffer from insomnia.
The list of reasons that cause insomnia at the end of pregnancy, is quite extensive: it's lower back pain, which does not allow you to relax, it and cramps in the legs, it and heartburn, shortness of breath, the endless need to pee, and of course, the kicks, kicks baby, a lot of other, both physiological and psychological reasons.
Many expectant mothers can toss and turn in bed for a long time, and cannot find a comfortable position for sleeping - this also leads to the fact that after a short time women wake up, and then cannot fall asleep again. The situation is also aggravated by chronic fatigue, stress, fear of the impending birth...
It is possible to distinguish three kinds of insomnia. One kind is insomnia when mother-to-be cannot fall asleep for a long time in the evening, turning over from side to side, and spending hours staring at the ceiling (TV), thinking about the events of the day, making plans for the future, imagining the birth of her baby and the first meeting with her baby.
The second type of insomnia is an inability to maintain a state of sleep for a long time. The woman may fall asleep, but during the night she may wake up several times and, accordingly, in the morning she will not feel rested. Finally, the third type of insomnia is the final phase insomnia: the woman wakes up in the morning and is not able to fall asleep again.
During pregnancy, women are mostly faced with starting insomnia: falling asleep with a heavy, large belly, when the baby is constantly kicking, when all the time you want to go to the bathroom, with each subsequent week of pregnancy is becoming more and more difficult.
But in any case, it is necessary to fight insomnia, because the body replenishes the energy expended during the day, it is during sleep.
According to specialists, the daily requirement for sleep for pregnant women is about 10 hours, and regular lack of sleep should be compensated to avoid various problems.
It is possible to learn to control sleep. To do this, you should understand at least in general terms its nature. And sleep, like any other biological process, has a cyclic nature, with phases that repeat with a constant periodicity of 90-120 minutes. Slow and fast phases of sleep replace each other about 4-6 times during the night.
The duration of REM sleep is about 10 minutes - it is during REM sleep that the human brain becomes active and we dream. If you are awakened during REM sleep, then you will feel sleep-deprived and tired all day long. By the way, a very interesting fact is that the phases alternate at the same time every night even if you are awake.
The strongest desire to fall asleep comes precisely during the REM sleep phase. So, if you wake up in the middle of the night and have no way to fall asleep, you should be aware that after a maximum of two hours (120 minutes) sleep will return to you. While waiting for sleep you can knead, read a book, listen to quiet music.
Forcing yourself to sleep is impossible - as experience shows, this is the surest way to finally wake up. But it is desirable to remember what time approximately when you start the fast phase of sleep - so you can plan the most rational sleep schedule, going to bed when you expect the fast phase of sleep.
You will also be able to calculate the best time to get up in the morning so that you can feel rested all day long.
What to do if you suffer from insomnia during pregnancy
So, how to fight insomnia during pregnancy? First of all, do not treat... No matter what wonderful remedies for insomnia are not advised, no matter what drug helped you before, you should not take any medicine without a doctor's prescription. Only a specialist will be able to choose for you a necessary remedy and to prescribe it. But herbal remedies such as valerian, chamomile or motherwort, only welcome.
It is also worth paying close attention to your menu, what and when you drink and eat. Try not to overload the stomach at night - dinner should not be late and as light as possible. Before going to bed you can drink a glass of milk with honey or herbal tea of lavender, licorice, thyme, chamomile, mint, licorice and melissa.
But it is not recommended to use hops in decoctions. Juices from radishes, turnips, beets with honey will be very useful. An excellent remedy for insomnia will be an infusion of the herb celery: twenty grams of celery pour a glass of boiling water, then insist for half an hour, strain. Drink this infusion three times a day for a third of a glass.
You should also try to create in your home a calm and comfortable atmosphere - stress, tension, scandals, fighting and other emotional stress you absolutely no need. But the daily exercise is only welcome, as it improves circulation and has a good effect on the nervous system.
If you are accustomed to sleeping during the day, try to either abandon this habit in favor of sleeping at night, or reduce the time of daytime sleep to a minimum.
Prepare your room for sleeping. The most favorable conditions for a good, sound sleep are a slightly cool, well-ventilated room. If the weather permits, it is better to sleep with an open window.
Particular attention should be paid to the choice of pajamas - they should be made of natural fabric and comfortable, so as not to squeeze anywhere, so that you do not get tangled in it at night. You can wrap several pillows - it will help you to take the most comfortable sleeping position.
If at night the baby begins to push hard, kicking, try to change the position, you probably blocked the baby's access to air. Specialists recommend expectant mothers to sleep on their left side - but this advice does not suit everyone, everything is individual.
Evening walks in the fresh air also contribute to a good sleep. Relaxing light massage on the legs, lower back, and back will be a great way to sleep.
A pregnant woman can relieve fatigue with a shower or a warm bath. Aromatherapy will also help to relax - arrange a relaxing incense in the bedroom or bathroom, or put a pillow filled with thyme, buckwheat husks, hazel or laurel leaves, pine needles, immortelle flowers, geranium grass, hop scales, rose petals near the pillow on which you sleep.
Of course, it is not necessary to carry out all of the above recommendations at the same time. It is better to choose a couple or three effective methods and learn to sleep peacefully. Remember that a good night's sleep is necessary not only for you, but also for your baby.
Insomnia in pregnant women - how to treat with drugs and folk methods
In his time, Victor Hugo wrote that insomnia is nothing but a mockery of the night over a man. It's not just a night without sleep, it's a night when you're all alone. It seems like a comfortable bed, and the pillow is soft, but for some reason the bedroom turns into a real "torture chamber" for pregnant women.
Mom-to-be seems that the treacherous Morpheus forgot about her, but it was during pregnancy, women need a healthy dream. The quality of sleep largely depends not only on the pregnant woman's health, but also the health of her unborn child. A woman begins to stalk the fear of another sleepless night. She feels so lonely and unhappy.
Do you know the feeling? Then first of all we want to reassure you, you are not alone! Together with you spend the night without sleep more than 70% of pregnant women. And this is the official statistics.
What to do? Is there no means to make Morpheus remember you? Of course there are.
And today we will try to find the most suitable remedy for you, analyzing the advice of doctors and patient reviews posted on the pages of specialized websites. But we will begin with the consideration of the causes that cause insomnia.
Causes of insomnia in early and late pregnancy
Insomnia in medicine is commonly referred to as "insomnia". It is a clinical syndrome that is characterized by disturbed sleep. There is enough time for sleep, and the person cannot fall asleep.
So why is the percentage of insomnia in pregnant women so high? Of course, primarily because of hormonal restructuring, because of the emotional mobility and physical changes that occur in the body of expectant mothers during this period.
And with the increase of pregnancy term, the number of women suffering from insomnia is increasing. But let's take a closer look at the causes by trimester.
- A labile emotional background and a high level of stress tension.
- Constant anxiety and uncertainty about the future in case of an unplanned pregnancy.
- Frequent urges to urinate. The uterus presses on the bladder.
- Over 80% of pregnant women experience an increase in blood pressure during this period.
- Unpleasant sensations in the breasts. Your breasts are enlarged and swollen.
- Change of posture during sleep. Women who are used to sleeping on their stomachs are especially affected.
- Physiological changes in the nasopharynx. The nasopharyngeal mucosa may swell. While sleeping, many pregnant women begin to snore, as lying on her back, they relax the soft palate and tongue. A woman wakes up because of unusual sounds of rattling and vibration in the nasopharynx.
- Occurrence of cramps in pregnant women. As a rule, muscle cramps begin to bother expectant mothers from the twentieth week.
- Active movements of the fetus in the womb.
- Increase in the size of the abdomen. It becomes more and more difficult to get comfortable in bed.
- Gastrointestinal disorders - heartburn, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, unpleasant belching.
- Shortness of breath. The abdomen begins to press on the diaphragm.
- Possible occurrence of tachycardia and arrhythmia.
- Frequent urge to urinate.
- Pain in the joints and spine. Ligaments relax - the body prepares for childbirth.
- Pain associated with stretching the skin on the abdomen.
- Hormonal surges.
- Nervous tension associated with waiting for contractions.
- Fatigue and nightmares. Most women (especially first-time mothers) are afraid of childbirth.
What can pregnant women do for insomnia - drugs
We will try to answer this question based on the recommendations of doctors and reviews by women themselves, posted on Internet sites and forums. But we will begin with those drugs for insomnia, which under no circumstances can not take future mothers.
What drugs can not be taken by pregnant women from insomnia?
- It is forbidden for pregnant women to take sleeping pills and sedatives belonging to the class of blockers, chloral hydrates, quinzolines benzodiazepines. We will not list all the types and names of sleeping pills that should by no means be taken by future mothers. Most of them are sleeping pills with a narcotic type of action, with changes in sleep patterns, with negative consequences, with the possibility of developing mental and physical dependence. We should not say that they can cause serious harm to the unborn child, we think, either.
- At any stage of pregnancy, any drugs based on barbituric acid are strictly forbidden. These include Phenobarbital and Hexamidine. These drugs can lead to birth defects in fetal development, and also cause bleeding and respiratory failure in the mother.
- Do not take any tranquilizers! They depress the fetal CNS and cause birth defects in the fetus.
So what to do if the bed is comfortable, the room is aired, the diet is balanced, the evening walk was long, and warm milk with honey was drunk - but the insomnia does not disappear?
- According to reviews and doctor's recommendations published on the Internet, the drug Glycine most often helps pregnant women to solve the problem of poor sleep. This drug begins to have a therapeutic effect after seven days of taking it. It significantly improves sleep, relieves anxiety, and promotes mental development. Glycine is an amino acid that is included in many products. However, in pharmacology, pills and powders include other components. Therefore, the use of glycine during pregnancy should take place only on the recommendation of a doctor and under his supervision. Doctor Elena Farfonova, who is in charge of the women's consultation office, recommends that her patients take one tablet of glycine every other day for 7-14 days.
- Most physicians recommend taking motherwort. Decoction of this plant is an effective means of relieving psycho-emotional tension. Motherwort lowers blood pressure and improves heart function. But it has a diuretic effect. Future mothers should take this into account. Decoctions and teas should be prepared only from the "pure" pharmacy herb. The dosage of intake is set by the doctor.
- Many pregnant women on forums recommend the use of medicinal melissa in the fight against insomnia. Doctors are not against its use, as decoctions from this perennial plant have no contraindications for pregnant women. However, they warn that its regular use can cause unpleasant consequences - nausea, dizziness. Drink decoctions from melissa for a long time is not allowed! No more than 7 days. You can drink two or three glasses a day. To prepare decoctions use only the leaves of melissa, bought at the drugstore.
- Some doctors recommend pregnant women to take Novo-Passit to normalize sleep. As a rule, Novo-Passit is prescribed for chronic insomnia in the late term. Herbal ingredients are used in the manufacture of this drug. The sedative effect comes in two to three days. Novo-Passit in pharmacies is available both in tablets and as a syrup. The liquid version is not suitable for pregnant women, as the syrup contains alcohol. The duration of therapy and the dosage should be prescribed by your doctor.
- Also in late pregnancy, doctors recommend taking Persen, which includes valerian, melissa, mint. Persen tablets relieve insomnia and normalize heart function. The dosage is set individually.
- Most doctors primarily recommend the tried-and-true option of our grandmothers - taking valerian in tablets. Valerian pills relieve unnecessary stress and improve sleep. However, expectant mothers should be aware that sedatives based on this extract often cause allergies.
- Some gynecologists are of the opinion that only homeopathic remedies can be taken during pregnancy. For example, Nervohel is a sedative that is not addictive. Reviews about this drug on the forums are quite good. Nervohel is a weak antidepressant, but it does not suppress reaction speed and does not affect concentration. There are practically no side effects. In rare cases, it causes an allergic reaction in the form of a rash.
Remember that any of the above remedies for insomnia has its advantages, disadvantages and contraindications.
Therefore, consultation and advice from your doctor when choosing a particular drug is vital to you! Before you start self-medication, remember that you are no longer alone! The health of your baby depends on you.
Even folk remedies to combat insomnia during pregnancy should not be used without first consulting your doctor.